Wednesday

Allegiant

This third instalment tin the Divergent trilogy was much anticipated. Ever since I met Tris back in Abnegation, I have grown very attached to the story and its characters. Allegiant, which I expected to be fast-paced, tear jerking and altogether mind boggling, was surprisingly none of the above. Instead I thought it was cautious realistic yet fascinating and poignant.


Allegiant (Divergent, #3)The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

  But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love.
.
If you haven't been living under a rock for the last year, then you will know about the Divergent trilogy and how phenomenal it has become. So when Allegiant (finally) hit the shelves with a very unexpected ending, you can imagine how angry some people may have become. Fortunately, I had stayed clear of any Allegiant related blog posts/ tweets etc. etc. Therefore when I read it, I had no what was about to happen.

Tris has become one of my favourite Heroines. Veronica Roth developed her character incredibly well. Tris displayed great qualities but like any other human in the world she had her flaws. And I loved her because of that. She was a girl in Divergent, but a woman in Allegiant. I think she is one of the best fictional role models out there. Although her last decision I would recommend.....

Speaking of the ending, that caused quite a stir. I've heard people say they hate it, while others admire Veronica Roth for going with her gut. When I finished I was sort of in a daze. You see, when the Tris episode happened, I didn't realised what was actually happening. I never thought that could possibly happen. It just couldn't. I was certain that when she saw her mother that it was only a dream. It took me a few days to come to terms with the ending but I have finally formed an opinion on it.
Though I was not satisfied with the ending, I think any other way would have killed the trilogy. Imagine a happily ever after? I don't think I could have ever forgiven Veronica Roth if that were to happen. And it was not possible to have such a happy ending because of what the world entailed and after all their suffering. Instead,I respect the ending.

One thing that could have been better produced was the two POVs. Tris and Tobias blended together. Although it was refreshing to get an insight into Tobias' mind, I couldn't distinguish between them.

I loved the reason for the factions. I had not been expecting that! I thought that when they left the city that the outer world would no longer exist or something like that. It was brilliant how Veronica Roth came up with it. Had she know all along? Or were there other options she was thinking of?

Altogether, this is a brilliant trilogy. Allegiant was not what I expected but it is respectable.





Happy Reading!
Marian ^_^

6 comments:

  1. We've heard so many good things about this trilogy, but we haven't had the chance to check it out just yet. We love a story with a great heroine, so we'll have to check it out. Great review!!

    http://mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope you do get around to reading it, you definitely won't be disappointed with Tris.
      Marian ^_^ x

      Delete
  2. Aaaah I've literally just finished this book! I couldn't believe how it ended, I just seriously couldn't believe it. I agree with you though about the whole Tris and Tobias point of view thing though; it felt awkward and unlike the other books and I kept forgetting whose point of view it actually was when I was reading. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean! I was in total shock. I just couldn't believe it could end like that!
      Yeah, Tris and Tobias were too alike. But the two POVs had to be included in Allegiant for the storyline to work.
      Marian ^_^ x

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^