Saturday

The Book Thief

I read this book a while back but seeing as I won't be reviewing the Gallagher girl books until I'm finished all of them I'll talk about Markus Zusak' "The Book Thief".
Typically novels are in third person or sometimes told from the perspective of one of the main characters. However this, not so usual, book is narrated by Death.
"The Book Thief" is set in Nazi Germany during WW2 and so Death is the ideal storyteller.
He/She (whatever Death is) is not the one-dimensional character we are used to either. This Death has a heart and an ironic sense of humour.
"The Book Thief tells the story of Leisel Meminger, a damaged but strong willed and immensely likable young girl that displays wisdom beyond her years.
Death's first encounter with nine year old Liesel is in 1939 in a graveyard shortly after the death of her younger brother on a train taking them to Molching Germany, where their Mother is to leave them with a foster family. It is just after the tearful and unceremonious burial that Leisel finds a book, "The Gravedigger's Handbook", after it is dropped accidentally, in the snow by a grave digger's apprentice. Despite being uneducated for her age and unable to read, she keeps it as a final memento of her brother. This is her first act of thievery.

The story takes a twist when Leisel's foster parents hide a Jew in their basement. I was in constant suspense with these gripping and unexpected happenings.
I wouldn't usually, voluntarily, read a war book as they are often upsetting and distressing. Remarkably this novel went against all my superstitions. It was direct but sincere. Zusak didn't sugarcoat anything so the story came alive. I had deep sympathy for Leisel  as I felt I had known her personally. The characters were so human it was impossible not to emotionally be attached to them.
This extraordinary novel would be suitable for teenagers and older. The dialogue is simple enough but with beautifully descriptive language. It even touches on German words. This poignant story is definitely a worthwhile read!
8.5/10

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book, my older sister has this but the book is so thick I'm scared to read it.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...Oh yeah, it is quite big (I just looked at it) I never noticed that when I was reading it! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review-sounds like an amazing and real story
    Sophie:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, this is some of the review I wrote for school but she never asked for it to be handed up so who were we to go mentioning it to her ;D x

      Delete
  3. Great review! My sister read it as well and said it was great. I can't wait to read some more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you enjoy my little blog! :D x

      Delete
  4. 8.5???? I read it on holiday and I thought it was INCREDIBLE, well deserving of a 9.7!! I loved EVERYTHING about it...~goes off in raptures~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I was going to give it 9.5 then I asked myself did it deserve to be right next to harry potter and the hunger games? So 9 should be it's score but what can I say.. I'm hard to please :D x

    ReplyDelete

I solemnly swear to reply every time ^_^